Bacon Sauteed Cabbage
Category: Side Calorie Count: 149 Macronutrient ratio: Carb-induced calories—54% Protein: 8 grams Carbohydrates: 20 grams Total Fat: 5 grams
- 1 head cabbage (we prefer green but other cabbages will also work)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large leek sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- With a sharp paring knife or chef knife, quarter the cabbage before discarding the core and roughage. Slice the remaining quarters into thin strips.
- While heating a large skillet over medium-high heat use kitchen shears to finely cut the bacon. Add the bacon to the skillet, cooking until it begins to crisp, then add the onion and leek. Stir frequently until the onion and leek begins to brown, then add the garlic, letting it cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the cabbage and seasonings, cooking for about ten minutes on that medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover, cooking 30 minutes more to let the bacon flavor really infuse into the cabbage, which will be much softer after the time on low heat.
- Pull off the heat and serve.
- Sharp paring knife or chef knife
- Large skillet
- Kitchen shears