Stir fry was one of the foods I missed most when I moved to a keto diet. Little did I know, though, shirataki noodles make a great substitute, and adding steak and low-carb vegetables makes this a super tasty dinner option. Even better, it only takes a half-hour!
BEEF STIR FRY
- 16 ounces shirataki noodles drained
- 2 steaks of size and cut to preference
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chile pepper diced
- 1 tablespoons ginger grated
- 8 ounces Asian mushrooms mixed as so desired (I prefer a mix of shiitake, oyster, and enoki, but use what works for you)
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro freshly chopped (or substitute with parsley, if so desired)
- Wash the shirataki noodles thoroughly before boiling 2-3 minutes, draining well once cooked. Place the noodles in a hot dry pan, frying over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Use tongs to toss your noodles regularly as they cook, ensuring that the noodles won't turn rubbery. Once fried, set in a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut your steak into thin strips, placing in a large, hot pan greased with 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Season your steak strips with salt and pepper, cooking over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer your steak to a plate, setting aside.
- Regrease the same pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, cooking the garlic, chile pepper, and ginger over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add your mushrooms, cooking an additional 5 minutes. Add your bell pepper slices, coconut aminos, and fish sauce, cooking an additional 3-5 minutes longer.
- Lastly, add the bean sprouts, cooked noodles, cooked steak, and cook until all is heated through and mixed well, roughly 1 minute. Remove from heat, add your lime juice, sesame oil, spring onions, and cilantro, mixing well, before serving immediately.
- Pot for boiling
- Large pan
- Slotted spoon
- Serving plates