Brussel sprout salads are a great keto diet side dish or lunch feast mixed with some healthy fats and a bit of meat for added flavor and protein. While other meats work just as well, I’m especially preferential to slow-cooked pork carnitas. Even better, you can substitute the Brussels sprouts as well, making this recipe super adaptable for whatever you feel like.
I am a fan of crispy shredded brussel sprouts any time! I even eat them for breakfast with bacon bits and an egg, yum!! I love baking a giant batch of crispy sprouts for use through out the week. This carnitas brussels sprouts salad is delicious and if you are into meal planning for the week- pairing it with the slow cooker carnitas is ideal!
Just add some carnitas and crispy brussel sprouts, toss together and top with your favorite flavors (sriracha, cheese, lime juice all work well!) Full simple recipe is below!
CARNITAS BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons lard melted
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 pound carnitas
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock or other liquid of choice
- Sriracha sauce to taste
- shredded cheese to top
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. As that warms, wash your Brussels sprouts, pat dry using paper towels or a dish towel before slicing thinly with a sharp knife (or use a slicing blade on your food processor).
- On a large well-rimmed baking sheet, spread the shredded sprouts, drizzling with your melted lard and sprinkling with salt and pepper to taste. Bake 10 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Add your carnitas (or other meat as desired) and cooking juices to the shredded sprouts and bake a further 10 minutes.
- Let the salad sit 5 minutes before serving, topping with Sriracha if so desired.
- Paper towel or dish towel
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Food processor, if so desired
- Rimmed baking sheet