This low-carb version of mac ‘n’ cheese just makes me happy. It’s all the warm, filling flavors we loved in our childhood, but updated with cauliflower to make it keto-friendly. The cauliflower gives it an extra creaminess, too, which just makes it a great comfort food after a rough day. Even better, it’s a remarkably fast meal, too!
CAULIFLOWER 'N' CHEESE
Category: Dinner Calorie Count: 560 Macronutrient ratio: Carb-induced calories—5% Protein: 24 grams Carbohydrates: 8 grams Total Fat: 49 grams
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 slices crispy bacon crumbled
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Start by making your cauliflower bake. Preheat the oven to 450 F. While the oven warms, cut your cauliflower into 1-inch pieces, cooking them in a steamer 8-10 inches. Once cooked, let cool 5 minutes.
- As that steams, prepare your cheese sauce. Place your butter and cream in a small saucepan, heating gently, before adding the cream cheese and garlic powder once hot. Stir until melted before raising the heat to bring to a simmer; once you see bubbles, remove from heat. Add 1 cup Cheddar cheese, mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Next, place your cooked cauliflower in a baking dish. Add your bacon, spring onions, and cheese sauce, mixing well with a spoon until completely coated, then top with your Parmesan cheese and the remaining ½ cup of Cheddar cheese, baking 10-12 minutes until the top is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Feel free to customize your flavor profile, too; consider using other cheeses, additional spices, and other modifications depending on how you feel and what tastes you're craving. Make this your comfort food. Tools Needed:
- Chopping knife
- Cutting board
- Baking dish
- Serving plates