Just as you can use many other vegetable “leftovers” as stock starters and in other recipes, broccoli stalks are something that not many people keep, but as in this soup, can be a great starter ingredient. This creamy soup adds spinach and blue cheese to add depth, and is perfect for winter evenings.
Great soups need a good immersion blender. You can get one pretty inexpensively these days from Amazon or Walmart. Our favorite one is the OXA 4 in one because you can actually use it for a number of other things so I feel like you are getting a better deal. But Kitchenaide also has a good one and Breville. THese guys come in handy far more than you’d think.
CREAMY BROCCOLI SOUP
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 cups chicken stock or substitute with bone broth
- 8 ounces spinach
- 1/4 cup sour cream or substitute with crème fraiche
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh basil plus more set aside for garnish (or substitute with Kale Avocado Pesto)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Grease a large soup pot with butter, heating over medium heat, before adding your onion and garlic and cooking until fragrant, 3-5 minutes.
- As that heats, cut your broccoli into florets (unless using all stems, which is an option). Peel and dice the broccoli stalk, and slice the celery, before adding the broccoli and celery to the pot, adding the stock just after.
- Bring to a boil, cooking 10-15 minutes, adding the spinach for a minute before adding your sour cream (or crème fraiche), blue cheese, lemon juice, and fresh basil (leaving some blue cheese and basil for garnishing purposes, if so desired).
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to smooth your soup out. Taste the soup, adding salt and pepper to taste, then pulse one last time.
- Divide into four serving bowls before drizzling each bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and garnish with blue cheese and basil as so desired. Serve immediately.
- Large soup pot
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Immersion blender
- Serving bowls