This is one of my winter favorites, with a mix of heartiness, creaminess, and just all-around tastiness. It’s a keto take on a traditional Greek recipe.
GREEK MEATBALL SOUP
Category: Dinner Calorie Count: 608 (1 cup servings) Macronutrient ratio: Carb-induced calories—3% Protein: 33 grams Carbohydrates: 5 grams Total Fat: 51 grams
- 1 tablespoon lard or butter
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice uncooked
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill chopped
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 cups beef stock or other stock as desired
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Start by making the meatballs. Grease a pan with lard and cook your cauliflower rice 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add your ground lamb, egg, parsley (saving some for garnish), dill, onion powder, coriander, salt, and pepper. Add your cooked cauliflower rice, mixing all of it well, before shaping into 12 medium-sized meatballs.
- In a separate soup pot, add your stock before bringing to a bowl. Once brought to a boil, turn down the heat to medium-low. Using a slotted spoon, add the meatballs, covering with a lid and cooking over medium heat for 12-15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, crack the eggs and whisk until frothy, adding the lemon juice as you continue to whisk. Using a ladle, slowly scoop 3-4 ladles of the stock into the bowl as you whisk, slowly bringing the egg mix and stock up to the temperature of the stock in the pot in this way.
- Once fully mixed, pour the egg, lemon, and stock mix into the soup pot with the meatballs, cooking an additional 2-3 more minutes over medium heat.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the parsley garnish and drizzle with olive oil.
Again, modify as you see fit. This is an easily adaptable recipe. If making for later use, store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze in smaller portions for up to 3 months. Tools Needed:
- Large soup pot
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl for egg mixture
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Serving bowls