Harissa is one of my favorite seasoning profiles. I love the smoky, spicy flavor, the aromatic memories of Northern Africa, and how the seasoning adds depth to whatever you use it in. These keto harissa chicken cups will delight your tastebuds all the way.
Even better, these make use of cauliflower rice and crisp lettuce cups, so you get a nice contrast of flavors and textures. They are crunchy, savory and spicy- just how I like it! You can ton down the spice by using less paste or add a little greek yogurt dressing.
I like to serve the dish family style and give everyone several lettuce cups on their plates. They can add as much or as little as they prefer! I like to make this dish when I am entertaining because its such a delicious and exotic dish plus having it be keto friendly allows me to show off my skills and diet at the same time.
So many people are shocked to know all the amazing foods you can actually eat while on the ketogenic diet. I love that you can have deliciously rich and creamy dishes as well as ultra flavorful and exceptional meals, including dessert! Very few diets in my past have allowed me to eat so well and helped me lose the weight.
Give this recipe a try- its much easier than you think (and remember, I am not an awesome cook so if I can do it- so can you!!)
HARISSA CHICKEN CUPS
- 1/4 cup butter or bacon fat
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs skinless, boneless, sliced
- 1/4 cup harissa paste
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 head lettuce iceberg or other
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sliced lime
- Grease a large pan with butter over medium-high heat. Add your chicken strips and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, before adding your harissa paste, lime slices and cooking another 5 minutes.
- Add your cauliflower rice and cook an additional 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently and seasoning with salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and mix in the parsley before plating with the lettuce, either in cups or on leaves, according to your preference. Top with your chicken, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
- Large frying pan
- Serving plate