Pesto is one of my favorite sauces, and this kale avocado pesto blend is chock full of healthy fats to help you feeling great. While regular pesto is keto friendly, this avocado and kale version adds some depth and richness to the recipe. You can use this sauce as a topping for zucchini pasta or other keto noodles or even as a dip. I love dunking Parmesan chips into the sauce for a quick snack.
Kale is a super food as well as avocado and garlic so its a fantastic combination to try out! Feel free tweak the recipe to your liking with different nuts and oils.
Kale is high in fiber and water, low in calories and has a deliciously mild flavor. One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It aids in preventing constipation while promoting regularity and a healthy digestive tract. It also offers many nutrients, vitamins, folate and magnesium as well. These are essential for the release of energy from food. Check out the best health benefits of Kale below!
KALE AVOCADO PESTO
- 1 avocado medium, peeled
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 2 cups basil fresh
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Blend all of your ingredients (with the exception of those last 3 tablespoons of olive oil) in a food processor, pulsing as needed to ensure a smooth creamy texture. Pour into a jar before pouring the final 3 tablespoons of oil on top.
- Seal with an airtight lid and refrigerate; it will readily keep a week or two in the refrigerator as long as well-sealed. After each use, place a thin layer of olive oil back on top of the pesto before re-refrigerating to help it last.
- Food processor
- Silicon ice cube tray (if freezing)
- Resealable plastic bag (if freezing)