One of my favorite parts of fried chicken is the crispiness. And obviously, how can you not love bacon? This dish offers the best of both worlds, combining crispy chicken, bacon barbecue, and a beautiful veggie salad.
Easy to make in the oven or on a BBQ and the perfect summer time meal for enjoying outdoors on a warm night! The Bacon BBQ sauce is the key ingredient to making this Keto Diet Friendly.
I love the combination of the bbq with fresh vegetables. Choosing low sugar and low carb veggies are best for those following the keto diet but you can add a number of other items to please all tastes. Zucchini, spring onions, Asparagus, Peppers, Eggplant, and tomatoes in moderation are all on the ketogenic diet list. Mix it up as you please. Grilled on the bbq or toasted in the oven, these make a great side dish.
Carrots- while not on the keto diet due to the sugar levels, are a fan favorite of kids and the bbq bacon sauce goes great with some crispy sticks. Making a meal that suits your diet but allows your family to participate in makes it so much easier to continue with the lifestyle change for the long run.
Barbecue Bacon Chicken Skewers
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup Bacon Barbecue Sauce separate recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Grilled Zucchini Salad
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley freshly chopped (or substitute mint as desired)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Start by cutting your thighs into medium-sized pieces, roughly 1 to 1 ½ inch in size. Place pieces in a bowl, adding your barbecue sauce and olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate at least 2 hours, for up to 24 hours.
- When the meat has marinated appropriately, preheat your broiler to 450 F. Thread your chicken pieces on skewers, placing them on a wire rack inside a baking tray.
- To make your zucchini salad, place the zucchini in another baking tray, adding your asparagus, spring onion, and chopped parsley (after setting some parsley aside for garnishing). Drizzle your vegetables with lemon juice and melted butter before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place both baking trays in the oven or on bbq, cooking 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes, before garnishing both skewers and veggies with your reserved parsley, drizzling with olive oil.
- Chopping knife
- Cutting board
- Plastic wrap
- Wire rack
- Baking sheets
- Serving plates