There may be no sandwich better than a cubano. The classic sandwich has the perfect mix of salty and sweet, crisp and tender, fatty and acidic. It’s a study in contrasts that mesh perfectly. It’s definitely the sandwich I miss most often when it comes to eating keto. But we have found a way to create a perfect Ham Cubano Wrap with few carbs and it fills the spot.
You can also substitute the crunchy soft bread for lettuce wraps or eating them with collard greens for that additional crunch if you like. We just wrap them up and chow down!
The tangy mustard, spicy carnitas, and crunchy pickles makes this a must try keto recipe! Its an easy and fast lunch and everyone will be a fan.
These work fantastically well with leftover Slow Cooker Keto Carnitas. When you are planning your meals for the week, its great to be able to utilize any leftovers that happen to occur. It saves money and makes the meals easy to prep.
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 6 Slices Ham
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 cup dill pickles sliced in strips
- 6 slices ham thin
- 3 tablespoons mustard Dijon preferably
- 2 cups Swiss cheese
- With the broiler on it's lowest temperature, place the oven rack roughly 4-6 inches above the broiler. After lightly greasing a heavy rimmed baking sheet with your avocado oil, place your shredded carnitas in the pan. Ideally, you'll have a layer about a 1/2-inch thick, so you may want to use a half-sheet pan.
- Sprinkle with your seasonings and lime juice and place in the oven, broiling until the top of the carnitas begins to brown—usually about 2 minutes.
- Take the sliced ham and spread the mustard evenly over the layers before topping with the sliced cheese. Place the ham in the broiler, watching until the cheese begins to bubble and brown, but not burn—usually 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the broiler and let cool slightly (so the cheese can firm back up a little). Place the carnitas and pickles on top of the ham and cheese.
- Wrap the cuban sandwich in a long roll, slice, and secure with toothpicks.
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Serving scoop