It’s easy enough to make your own Mexican chorizo, and given my penchant for hashes, it’s no surprise that one of my favorite uses for that chorizo is this hash. I especially love making it the night before a busy morning and then just reheating it quickly when I’m ready to eat in the am, as it feels like the flavors come together even better that way.
I usually add an egg on top- which can also be fried the morning of and then added to the has dish. Its a super simple meal that is low in carbs and will give you plenty of energy for the day to come. This keto style Mexican hash is made with amazing super foods; pumpkin and swiss chard. You could make it with sweet potato or kale just as easy as well.
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cups pumpkin diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard or substitute with kale
- 1 egg
- In a large pan greased with 1 tablespoon ghee, brown your chorizo over medium-high heat until well-browned, roughly 8-10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer your meat to a small bowl, setting aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon ghee and diced pumpkin to the pan, cooking over medium heat for 6-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, before adding your Swiss chard or kale. Cover, and cook an for up to an additional 5 minutes until your greens are soft and wilted. (Swiss chard may take as little time as a minute or two, so keep a close eye on this.)
- Add your chorizo back to the pan, then drop an egg right on top and let cook for a minute of two before removing from the heat and serving. If you like the eggs less runny you can keep on the stove until desired firmness.
- Chopping knife
- Cutting board
- Large saucepan
- Slotted spoon
- Serving spoon
- Serving plates