This is another one of my favorite dishes for gloomy fall days. It’s simple (one pot), warming, and hearty. Hard to beat! The tomatoes and sausage go together really well as it adds a bit of sweetness to the dish. Feel free to use any type of gluten free sausage as well- we love the garlic sausage from Applegates, but the Al Fresco brand is second on our list of tastes.
We serve up this amazing dish with keto grits and make it a harder meal for all. My husband particularly loves to use the sauce to dip his grits into to so making sure there is a big of extra liquid in the the dish is ideal for those dippers.
ONE POT TOMATO SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
Category: Dinner Calorie Count: 552 Macronutrient ratio: Carb-induced calories—6% Protein: 21 grams Carbohydrates: 8 grams Total Fat: 47 grams
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pound Italian sausages gluten-free
- 2 yellow onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes canned and unsweetened
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley freshly chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat your broiler. As that warms, heat a cast iron pot with 1 tablespoon ghee over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and brown on all sides, turning regularly, for roughly 5 minutes, before transferring to a plate, setting aside.
- Regrease your pot with the remaining ghee and add your onion and garlic, cooking 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add your bell peppers and cook 3 more minutes, before adding the tomatoes, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley (reserving some for garnish), bringing to a boil and cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Add your sausages back to the pot, placing it under the broiler for 5-10 minutes, so the sausage is well browned and the sauce is bubbling. Set aside to cool before serving.
- Cast-iron pot (or other oven safe casserole dish)
- Serving spoon
- Serving bowls