Tacos are one of those things I sometimes crave. Black and refried beans, however, are not the most keto friendly ingredients. In this frittata, however, those ingredients are replaced with eggplant. It is still as cheesy and gooey and delicious as ever with a slightly healthy twist on a classic.
Eggplant has tons of vitamins and minerals. If you chop eggplant into very small bite sized pieces kids will often mistake them for potatoes- meaning you can sneak in some extra goodness without the compromise on your keto diet!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion small and chopped
- 1/2 eggplant
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 Eggs large
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup black olives sliced
- In a large pan, melt your butter until the pan is well-greased, then add your white onion and cook until fragrant—roughly 3 minutes. Dice the eggplant into ½ inch pieces, cooking another 5 minutes before adding your ground beef, taco seasoning, and water, cooking an additional 3-5 minutes, ensuring the meat is browned and the eggplant tender.
- Preheat your broiler. As that warms, crack your eggs into a bowl, whisking with a fork. Set aside. Add your grated Cheddar cheese and sliced black olives to your pan before pouring in your whisked eggs. Stir regularly, cooking until firm—roughly 10 minutes.
- Finally place your pan under the broiler, cooking an additional 5 minutes to crisp up the top, before removing from heat and letting cool. Once completely cooled, slice into 6 pieces. If not serving immediately, store in an airtight refrigerator container for up to 5 days.
- Large broiler-safe pan
- Small bowl
- Serving plates or refrigerator safe storage