Looking for something crispy and tasty to serve beside your eggs in the morning? These keto turnip hash browns are absolutely amazing and even better than potato hash browns! Want to know the secret ingredient? Bacon fat… yum!
Adults and kids will never know the difference between these and the little potato patties they may have tried before. The best part is that they are much lower in carbohydrate than potatoes offering the same satisfaction and crunchy breakfast craving.
Turnips are low sugar, loaded with fiber and vitamins K, A, C, E, B1, B3, B5, B6, B2, folate, as well as minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and copper. They are also a good source of phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Its one of the keto friendly vegetables you can enjoy.
They can reduce inflammation and optimize digestion making for a great side dish choice. Additionally, turnips regulate metabolism, increase circulation, and boost the immune system. Wow- who knew all the wonderful benefits of turnips right?
They have a similar mild taste and texture to potatoes and carrots and can be substituted in a number of recipes calling for those vegetables. Give it a try and let us know your favorite!
Turnip Hash Browns
- 2 turnips washed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or butter if you don't have bacon fat available
- 1 large egg
- pepper and salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Using a box grater or food processesor, shred the turnips.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg before adding the shredded turnip, salt, and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, warm a large flat-bottomed skillet; once warm, add your bacon fat or butter to melt. Once melted, turn the heat to medium.
- Add your turnip mixture to the hot skillet in ½ cup servings, using a spatula to lightly flatten. Cook up to five minutes, or until the edges have browned, before flipping and cooking on the other side.
- Move to a plate, and serve with a small dollop of sour cream.
- Box grater
- Large flat-bottomed skillet
- Serving plates
- Spoon for the sour cream